Why You'll Love this Job
Retina Consultants of Texas (RCTX) is seeking a responsible individual to join the team as an Research Refractionist.
The Visual Acuity Examiner (refractionist) is primarily responsible for performing standardized refraction and visual acuity as required by various study protocols and manual of procedures. Day-to-day activities may include all or some of the essential functions listed below, depending upon individual experience / knowledge and the needs of the organization which are subject to change from time to time.
This position will be based from the Katy clinic with travel to other clinics as needed.
RCTX offers the following competitive benefits for full-time eligible employees after the introductory period:
- Medical Insurance Plans
- Vision Insurance Plan
- Dental Insurance Plan
- 401K Contribution
- Life Insurance
- PTO and Holiday Pay
- Rewards andercognition Program
- Certification Opportunities
Retina Consultants of Texas (RCTX) is one of the largest and most respected retina-only ophthalmology practices in the United States, committed to Preserving the Patient's Vision. RCTX has three certified research centers and is home to the Greater Houston Retina Research Center, one of the country’s leading sites for retinal research. All Retina Consultants of Texas physicians are board certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology and specialize exclusively in diseases and surgery of the retina, vitreous, and macula. In addition, RCTX has an ocular oncology division, which focuses on cancer treatments for the eye. Our surgeons have studied at some of the most renowned institutions in the nation and all have graduated at the very top of their classes.
Retina Consultants of Texas (RCTX) is part of Retina Consultants of America (RCA), the largest network of leading retina specialists with the mission of saving sight and improving patient lives through innovation and the highest quality care. Through RCA's physician-centered practice management model, physicians continue to drive clinical and practice culture while benefitting from the available business expertise, resources and shared best practices.
Retina Consultants of Texas follows all CDC and local authority protocols to ensure the safety and well-being of the patients, providers, employees and communities.
Retina Consultants of Texas is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and an Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive work environment that celebrates diversity.
- Communicates/coordinates patient flow with other members of the study team.
- Performs manifest refraction and visual acuity with loose lenses per protocol, low luminance and speed-reading testing (MN Read and Radner) in a timely manner, and with accuracy, per the study protocols.
- Performs Pell-Robson Contrast Sensitivity, Color Vision testing, and any other vision testing that suits the needs of the clinical trials such as AST
- Performs study/protocol procedures in a detailed, accurate manner
- Familiar with the vision portion of all protocols
- Correctly utilize the manual lensometer to read RX’s from glasses.
- Performs Keratometry
- Obtains intraocular pressure (tonopen and goldman applanation) and dilates patients per the study protocols.
- Accurately files and can locate study essential study documents as requested by study team.
- Assists with a variety of projects and performs other duties as assigned. A certain degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
- Obtain various sponsor-required certifications within a timely manner
- Maintain and status of certifications (i.e. not letting a certification expire)
- Responsible for ensuring the visual acuity lane is properly certified and is kept to the certification requirements
- Maintains all equipment, lenses, and charts required for Visual Acuity testing
- Maintains and updates records of all certified equipment (i.e., burn-in logs and the record of light bulbs changes for primary and back-up bulbs) and provides sponsors and Clinical Trial staff with updated information
- Maintains good relationships with vendors and sponsors and addresses deviations in a timely manner
- Assists the Clinical Research Coordinators and Clinical Research Director as needed
- Effective oral and written communication
- Delivers safe and appropriate care to patients in addition to the requirements outlined by study protocols
- Adapt quickly with each new change and must be flexible with change of any system or method.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- One year of experience in ophthalmic/optometry refraction preferred