Why You'll Love this Job
Retina Consultants of Texas (RCTX) is seeking a responsible Network Systems Technician to support and service mission critical systems for a large retina-only ophthalmology practice.
Candidate must be able to work daytime business hours as well as evenings or weekends as needed. Position will require travel to multiple clinics in Houston and surrounding areas.
RCTX offers the following competitive benefits for full-time eligible employees after the introductory period:
- Medical Insurance Plans
- Vision Insurance Plan
- Dental Insurance Plan
- 401K Contribution
- Life Insurance
- PTO and Holiday Pay
- Rewards and Recognition Program
- Education Reimbursement
RCTX is one of the largest and most respected retina-only ophthalmology practices in the United States, dedicated to preserving vision for patients throughout the state. RCTX has three certified research centers and is one of the leading sites for retinal research in the country. All Retina Consultants of Texas physicians are board-certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology and specialize exclusively in diseases and surgery of the retina, vitreous and macula. In addition, RCTX has both uveitis and ocular oncology specialty divisions, which focus on inflammation and cancer treatments of the eye. Our surgeons have studied at some of the most renowned institutions in the nation and all have graduated at the top of their classes.
As a Network Systems Technician, you will be a vital part of the RCTX IT team who services and supports mission critical systems. You will also provide support for clinic site LANs, WAN connection installations and post install troubleshooting. This may include application performance troubleshooting as well. This individual is responsible for delivery of new functionality, day-to-day operations, and participating in break/fix activities. You will also provide support for many third-party vendors such as Cisco/Meraki, Microsoft Office 365, VMware, etc. This individual will report directly to RCTX’s Director of Information Technology.
- Provides Basic technical hardware and software support, maintenance and troubleshooting of WAN/LAN network devices.
- Interacts with physicians, management, clinical and research staff, administration staff as well as 3rd party vendors to manage the day-to-day scheduled and unscheduled computer operations and maintenance activities. Seeks to maintain stable, efficient and effective availability and operations of RCTX network resources.
- Assists staff with basic technical design, optimization, monitoring, testing, evaluation, integration, installation and implementation of Network, Infrastructure and Application systems and components as directed. Designs network and systems to best meet customer-specific solutions, customizations and requirements, while maintaining company infrastructure standards and policies.
- Assists with basic network security definition and design to include Router/Switch/Firewall, Active Directory, and other networking environments. Also, includes the ability to work closely with and transfer knowledge to other IT team members.
- Actively monitors network and Internet activity and recommends improvements and changes to security measures as needed. Produces reports of network performance. Develops and conducts proactive maintenance and change control activities, as approved, designed to ensure optimal operation of the network and systems.
- Understands and complies with all security policies; ensures that security and data protection are top priorities; integrates security into all designs and systems; makes recommendations regarding enhancing network security.
- Ensures all aspects of the network configuration, software licenses, user accounts and equipment are inventoried, tracked and documented and that all documents and diagrams are kept up to date as configurations change – including proper and timely attention to appropriate change control coordination, procedures and notifications.
- Maintains and troubleshoots proprietary diagnostic equipment, connected PCs, and software
- Monitor the day-to-day operations of the data network and systems within his/her defined scope
- Provide technical assistance and resolution for network and systems problems
- Participate in voice, data, network and systems installation repair and upgrades
- Identify and troubleshoot performance issues in an enterprise environment
- Monitor the installation, maintenance, and monitoring systems of the network
- Problem Solving and Critical Thinking
- Applies advanced skills to resolve complex problems not covered by existing procedures or practices independently
- Displays a high level of critical thinking in bringing successful resolution to high-impact, complex and/or cross-functional problems
- Plan, implement, and/or engineer network solutions based on Cisco/Meraki equipment with intermediate complexity
- Demonstrates comprehensive working knowledge of a technical or specialty area, and of operations, methods, and practices
- 3+ years’ experience in a complex multi-vendor network using technologies as TCP/IP, static routing, Layer 2/3 Switching/Routing on Meraki (layer 2/3 and wireless hardware),
- Plan, implement, and/or engineer network solutions based upon Cisco/Meraki equipment with intermediate complexity
- Ability to learn new technologies and complex photography equipment
- Ability to create comprehensive documentation using Microsoft Teams and related tools
- Voice experience with Avaya IP Office
- Ability to work independently, without close supervision, although he/she will be part of a team
- Ability to work evenings or weekends as needed
- Self-starter, initiator
- Strong team player that must have the ability to work efficiently and effectively within a team environment and adhere to existing processes and procedures
- Dependable and reliable with a positive mental attitude and professional appearance
- Detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- Ability to communicate technical information to other team members but also to coworkers in other departments who may not have knowledge of networking technical terminology
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously from design to implementation
- Comprehensive understanding of network services and networks such as TCP/IP, WAN/LAN, VPN
- In-depth understanding and practical knowledge of networking systems such as LAN, firewalls, routers and printers
- Ability to analyze and evaluate networks, identify issues and provide solutions to ensure networks are operating efficiently
- Ability to design, implement and troubleshoot Wi-FI and security infrastructure
- Associate degree or 1-2 years of vocational technical training preferred
- Advanced certifications for equipment supported
- CCNA (Preferred)